Action Item #1: Be happy.
No, Jon Ossoff didn’t win in Georgia (yet) but he got 48% of the votes in a deep red state. THAT’S YUGE. And he’ll be trying again in June. Similarly, in equally red Kansas, the Democrat James Thompson who narrowly lost managed to close a gap from 31 points to 7 points. If Georgia and Kansas can vote for progressive candidates in those numbers, then Maryland can GET RID OF ANDY HARRIS! AND LARRY HOGAN! Take heart and NEVER MISS A CHANCE TO VOTE.
To that end, Indivisible NBC will be hosting local activists who have announced their candidacy! Stay tuned for meetings where we can ask them questions and also help form their platforms. This is GRASSROOTS ACTIVISM at its best!!
Want to know who’s running? Baltimore Women United (https://www.facebook.com/groups/706152872868505/) has been posting the names of folks who are running locally. These are largely newcomers who are dedicated to changing the system now that we’ve realized just how broken it is. DO YOUR HOMEWORK and see who’s up and coming. The following are local groups that also inform readers who is running, but you can use any source you’re comfortable with:
- Pantsuit District: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1228783890515712/
- and https://www.pantsuitdistrict.org/
- Together We Will – Maryland: https://www.facebook.com/groups/362798467402129/
- Together We Will – Baltimore: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TogetherWeWillBaltimore/
- Indivisible Maryland: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1209448529151219/
Action Item #2: Want to REALLY get involved? Attend DCCC University!
The DCCC (a training program for political campaigns and state parties) recently launched DCCC University in order to recruit and train potential Campaign Managers, Finance Directors, and Field Directors all across the country. The program will give participants the tools they need to work on campaigns, state parties, or other political actors—in just two weeks, DCCC-U has already received 1,103 applications!
As part of the program, the DCCC will be holding training sessions around the country for the participants—these sessions will include speakers and presentations.
The DCCC is holding two training sessions in Washington, DC:
The first training session is on Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 from 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
The second training session is on Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 from 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
Both trainings will take place in the DNC Wasserman Room (430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington DC 20003). If you have any questions, please contact Christina Ives at Ives@dccc.org or (202) 485-3454, and CLICK HERE (https://action.dccc.org/sign-up/dccc-u) to RSVP!!
Action Item #3: Put the following dates on your calendar:
- April 22: March for Science in Washington, D.C.!
- April 29: Climate March in Washington, D.C.!
- May 7: Indivisible NBC meeting at the Hereford Public Library, 2:30, TBA whether we’ll have a new candidate speaking!
- May 21: Indivisible NBC meeting at the Towson Public Library, 2:30. Steve Lafferty (Delegate, District 42A, Deputy Majority Whip and member of environmental committees) will be speaking and taking our questions!